For trainers in training or potential puppy parents the Encyclopedia of Dog Breeds is the best dog breed book I can find. I own the second edition by D. Caroline Coile. Ph.D.
- Most comprehensive breed book
- Explains the health conditions associated with a breed
- Gives you ratings in things like energy
- Profiles more than 150 dog breeds
- Not a book you can carry around, more a reference book
This is the book that I would use for figuring out what breed I would choose if I were to be looking for a new dog. I helped my father – in – law with this book. It is also the book I would use to learn and memorize information about the dogs I was either pet sitting or training.
A good dog trainer should already know or readily research the dogs they train. Dogs of different breeds will react to training differently, so knowing their personalities gives a trainer an advantage in training their dog.