Your first step to potty training is knowing what not to do. As with the other things I teach, we’ll be using positive reinforcement. In order to do that most successfully, we are going to set them up to succeed.
But first, the don’t list:
- Don’t punish your puppy after an accident has happened. They will not relate the accident to the punishment so they won’t learn anything from it.
- Don’t hit your dog, please.
- Don’t push their nose in it.
- Don’t allow your puppy free roam of the house.
If you catch them making a mistake you can make a startling noise and then pick up your puppy to take them to where they can finish going potty.
- Potty Training Your Puppy (trainyourdogs.wordpress.com)
- Potty Training Choices (trainyourdogs.wordpress.com)
- How Can You Tell When Your Dog Needs To Go Potty (trainyourdogs.wordpress.com)
- Rules for Potty Training Success (trainyourdogs.wordpress.com)