Humane societies, shelters and rescues are almost always short on funds, supplies and equipment. They are non-profit societies and most who work there make minimum wage or volunteer their time. Do you want to help dogs or cats who don’t have a home? Here are some ideas for you.
- Volunteer at your local humane society walking dogs
- If you have the skills, offer free training services to humane societies or local rescues
- Donate money if you don’t have the time to volunteer
- Consider being a foster parent to homeless dogs. Contact local rescues and see if they need foster parents.
- See what equipment your local humane society needs. For instance, here is the list for my local humane society: http://www.michiganhumane.org/site/PageServer?pagename=donate_wishList
To find the contact information for your local humane society, check your phone book or do a search on the internet containing the words (your city name) and humane society. To find rescue groups you’ll find a complete list at www.petfinder.com.
Any questions? Let me know. Just comment on this post and I’ll do my best to help you.